This makeshift peach and berry crumble is the perfect sweet treat that uses overly ripe fruit. The soft consistency of the ripe fruit makes them perfect for this dish. Crumble can be made with almost any fruit combination; you could stick to classic pairings like apple and blackberry or dare to go bold with pineapple, apricot and ginger. Ideally, use what you have already stocked.
- 6 peeled soft peaches
- 2 cups mixed berries
- 1 orange for juice and zest
- 3 tsp. corn flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. mixed oats
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1 medium egg
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375F, then line a shallow baking dish with butter.
- Slice the peaches and place them on the bottom of the buttered dish with the mixed berries.
- Mix the juice and zest of the orange with the corn flour, ½ demerara sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle this over the peaches.
- For the topping, mix the flour, caster sugar, baking powder, oats and nutmeg together. Add the eggs and combine to form a coarse crumb. Place on top of the peach mixture and drizzle with melted unsalted butter.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
Enjoy this tasty makeshift peach and berry crumble? Let College News know!