Five tips for staying healthy on vacation
Staying healthy on vacation can be a challenge. After all, who wants to focus on health when the whole reason you got away was to relax and have fun? Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to remain healthy while travelling without bringing the good times and relaxation to a screeching halt.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. While ideally you should wear sunscreen every day, doing so while on vacation is especially important as you’re likely to be spending greater lengths of time outdoors.
- Boost your immune system. Travellers are exposed to tons of foreign viruses and germs, especially while flying. Help your immune system keep up by getting plenty of vitamin C, whether in tablet form or by eating citrus fruits. Echinacea is another supplement that is effective in warding off illnesses. Also, green tea is rich and antioxidants– drinking 1 or 2 cups a day can help take some of the stress off your immune system.
- Don’t skimp on rest. There is always so much to see and do when visiting a new place, but be sure to schedule in some sleep. Your body needs plenty of sleep in order for your immune system to function properly. If jet lag is a problem, melatonin is a natural sleep inducer that you can buy in nearly any vitamin aisle.
- Wash your hands! This is the simplest thing you can do to keep from getting sick while travelling. Wash your hands often, especially before and after eating. Also, keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer with you to use after touching doorknobs and other areas that get handled by a lot of people.
- Limit the booze. Overindulging in alcohol severely disables your immune system, not to mention the viruses and germs flying around any given bar. Do your body good and limit yourself to a drink or two when you go out.
Don’t let illness ruin your vacation! Following these tips will help you stay healthy while travelling.