Your one stop for college news and resources!

Out of the Ordinary

School bans Axe Body Spray after allergic reaction leaves student hospitalized

Ted Ballantine

Axe has caused allergic reactions in the past

Faculty, staff and students are no longer allowed to wear Axe spray

A Pennsylvania high school has banned its students from using Axe Body Spray after a student was hospitalized by an allergic reaction spurred by the faux cologne.  

Freedom High School reportedly had to call an ambulance after the allergic student came into contact with the Axe spray, but it wasn’t known exactly what kind of reaction he had or the specific chemical that caused the reaction. But Michael LaPorta, the principal of the school, confirmed that it was indeed Axe Body Spray that caused the violent allergic reaction.

The condition of the student is also unknown, but the principle told the Daily Mail that he is expected to make a full recovery. He likely won’t return to school for fear of a repeat reaction but will complete his schoolwork from home. According to the Daily Mail, the parents of the boy in question said that simply walking past someone wearing Axe is enough to trigger a reaction.

An Axe spokesman was aware of the incident and released a statement to Yahoo News.

“The safety and well-being of those who use our products is always our first priority,” the spokesman said in the statement. “If there are any issues with our products, we advise consumers to reach out to our Consumer Services Team at our 800 phone number, which is available on the back of our product packaging.”

Immediately following the incident, Freedom High School posted a statement to their website. It reads in full:

“The purpose of this posting is to make all parents, staff and students aware of a medical issue involving a Freedom High School student having an extreme allergy to Axe Body Spray. This allergy is potentially life-threatening for this student. Most recently this student has been transported to the hospital by ambulance for emergency medical treatment due to this student being exposed to Axe Body Spray while attending school.
My request to all Freedom Family members is that we take into consideration this student’s allergy to Axe Body Spray and refrain from using it as your cologne or fragrance of choice while attending Freedom High School.
On behalf of this student’s family and myself, thank you for your consideration.”

Related Articles