Your one stop for college news and resources!

Campus News

Philadelphia abduction attempt of 10-year-old ends in arrest

Scott Hixson

Philadelphia abduction attempt ends in arrest

The suspect implicated on surveillance video of the incident turned himself in to authorities Wednesday

The Philadelphia abduction attempt of a 10-year-old girl that has made headlines across the nation has been resolved with an arrest.

The Philadelphia abduction suspect was arrested Wednesday after turning himself in to authorities, according to a source with knowledge of the investigation.

The man gave himself up Wednesday, according to the source, after his image was plastered across the internet and news programs due to security camera footage that recorded the attempted abduction.

The attempted abduction incident occurred on Tuesday as the 10-year-old was walking home from a store with her 2-year-old brother.

The incident sparked instant outrage from the highest levels of the city’s government. Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter announced a $10,000 reward for the apprehension of the suspect.

“It’s a sick individual to do something like that,” Nutter said during a news conference Wednesday. “I want this creep off our streets immediately.”

The Philadelphia Police Department released the surveillance video of the incident on its website Wednesday.

The video depicts a white sedan parking at the corner of Porter and Lee streets while the 10-year-old girl and her 2-year-old brother are walking along the sidewalk holding hands. As the children walk left onto Lee Street, a male gets out of the white car and begins to follow the children.

The perspective of the video then switches to a camera positioned on Lee Street. The suspect then walks up behind the girl, puts one hand over her mouth, and attempts to carry her away. The girl falls to the ground as her brother screams. The suspect then releases the girl and flees in the white sedan.

Police described the suspect in the surveillance video as a Hispanic male in his 30s or 40s who was last seen in a white, four-door, midsize car.

According to CNN affiliate KYW, neighbors were grateful the children are safe, but were concerned for the wellbeing of other children in the neighborhood while the suspect remained at large.

“It’s scary. It’s making people nervous, making people think that they can’t bring their kids outside, you know, and let them play outside by themselves, and that’s not right,” said neighbor Kathleen McDowell.

Authorities say they plan to hold a press conference at 2:15 p.m. on Thursday to provide further details of the arrest.

Related Articles