Amy Winehouse Died Drinking Too Much Alcohol, Coroner Says

Coroner says the singer had five times the legal limit of alcohol in her system

WRITTEN BY: Molly Huscroft
Amy Winehouse
Image Source: Rama via wikimedia commons
Amy Winehouse

A British coroner announced Amy Winehouse died as the unintended consequence of consuming too much alcohol.

According to USA Today, coroner Suzanne Greenaway gave a verdict of “death by misadventure,” saying the singer died of accidental alcohol poisoning. “The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels (of alcohol) was her sudden and unexpected death,” Greenaway said.

Winehouse, who fought drug and alcohol problems for several years, was discovered dead in her bed at her London home on July 23 at age 27. An initial autopsy proved to be inconclusive, although it found no traces of illegal drugs in her system.

Pathologist Suhal Baithun informed reporters that Winehouse the level of alcohol in her blood was more than five times over the legal drunk-driving limit. Winehouse’s doctor, Dr. Christina Romete, said that the singer had started drinking after a long period of abstinence in the days before her death. Romete, who saw Winehouse the night before she died, said the singer had not talked about suicide.

Winehouse family spokesperson Chris Goodman said it was a relief for the family to find out what actually happened to Amy.

For more information, go here.

COMPETITIONS

ADVERTISEMENT
Loading...