This winter, I fell victim to Panera and their broccoli cheddar soup. Who can deny it? It’s amazing and after spending more than $15 on soup in just one week I decided it was time to try making it at home.
When I made it the first time, it came out good, but not “great.” The second and third time were a charm after adjusting ingredients from a recipe I found online.
For anyone who is a fan of the broccoli cheddar soup from Panera, here’s a recipe that will cost about $15 or less at the grocery store that will feed 4-5.
1 cup of butter
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 small onion
4 cups whole milk
2 cups chicken broth
1 head of broccoli
1 carrot (shredded)
1/2 pound of Velvetta cheese (cubed)
1. Cut the broccoli florets and wash, boil in 2 quarts of water until tender
2. Drain broccoli and set aside
3. Melt butter and add chopped onion and sauté
4. Add 3/4 cup flour stirring until a paste forms
5. Slowly add 2 cups of chicken broth and 4 cups of milk stirring as they are added
6. Bring to a boil until desired thickness of cream is reached
7. Add broccoli and shredded carrot
8. Stir in cubes of Velvetta cheese and heat until melted
9. Serve with baguette