Marvel Studios is rolling out with plenty of superhero films in the next several years, but none is more unique than Guardians of the Galaxy. The film has only been shooting for a few weeks now, but it already looks like Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be something very different. But what exactly is Guardians of the Galaxy about?
Guardians of the Galaxy is the name of two superhero teams published by Marvel Comics. The first team was created in 1969 by Arnold Drake and Gene Colan. The Guardians of the Galaxy that the upcoming film refers to was created in 2008 by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning.
This team of pre-existing Marvel Comics characters was formed as a proactive effort to battle threats to galaxy. Here’s a brief description of some of the characters that will be appearing in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie:
- Star-Lord (Chris Pratt) is the leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy, and is more or less an average human. He wears a suit that enhances his strength and allows him to travel through space. Star-Lord also uses a weapon known as an “Element Gun,” which has the ability to project the four elements of air, earth, fire and water….kind of like Captain Planet.
- Gamora (Zoe Saldana) is a green-skinned alien who is the last of her kind. In the comic books Gamora receives her powers from Thanos (the villain revealed at the end of The Avengers.) She is a skilled martial artist with super strength and enhanced healing. She is also shamelessly scantily-dressed.
- Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista) is a human who was resurrected as a powerful warrior to destroy Thanos. Drax has superhuman strength and speed and has the ability to sense Thanos’ location. Convenient power, that.
- Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace) is an alien warrior has super strength and agility, which is further enhanced by his set of armor. Ronan also has the ability to fly, which must be nice.
- Groot (unannounced) is an alien plant monster who is pretty much a walking, talking tree. I don’t think I need to tell you anything more about him, you know you’re interested in seeing this.
- Rocket Raccoon (unannounced) is a gun-toting alien raccoon…that’s right, a raccoon that packs heat. The idea may seem ridiculous, but director James Gunn says that Rocket, his favorite character, is not too much of a stretch for the superhero movie genre.
Guardians of the Galaxy will also feature Benicio del Toro, John C. Reilly, Glenn Close and The Walking Dead’s Michael Rooker.
Just from reading the character description it is very clear that this will be one of the most ambitious and unique film adaptations from Marvel to date.
So does all of this pique your interest in Guardians of the Galaxy? Or would you rather stick to the traditional capes and tights superhero flicks?
Guardians of the Galaxy hits theaters August 1, 2014.