Here at College News HQ, we secretly love the colder months, not least for the opportunity to wrap up, eat seasonal, warming food and get stuck into a good book. Join us and get into the winter spirit with this super warming chicken sausage stew. With these ingredients already lurking in your pantry (and nutrient-and-protein-rich to boot), this recipe offers an easy, guilt-free supper for those colder nights. For a chunkier soup, add cubed squash, carrots or sliced celery.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 340g fully cooked chicken sausages, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups cannellini beans, rinsed
- 425ml chicken broth
- 425g diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch kale leaves, torn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slices crusty bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add chicken sausage and cook until browned for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the garlic, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans, broth and tomatoes to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the kale and season to taste. Simmer until kale has wilted (this may take 2-3 minutes).
- Ladle steaming chicken sausage stew into bowls and serve with crusty bread for dipping.