• Your one stop for college news and resources!

Nikki Shewmaker

J.K. Rowling revealed to be author of crime novel

The Harry Potter author wrote the critically acclaimed novel under a pen name

J.K. Rowling is world-famous for writing the “Harry Potter” series, but it seems she has published a novel under a pen name as well. “Cuckoo’s Calling” was published under the name Robert Galbraith, who supposedly served as a member of the Special Investigative Branch of the Royal Military Police (something we’re certain J.K. Rowling has never done).

Galbraith is described on the publisher’s website as follows: “He left the military in 2003 and has been working since then in the civilian security industry,” the publisher’s website said. “The idea for (protagonist) Cormoran Strike grew directly out of his own experiences and those of his military friends who returned to the civilian world. Robert Galbraith’ is a pseudonym.”

Unfortunately for J.K. Rowling, journalists at “The Sunday Times” became curious and delved into an investigation, as is their job. They quickly realized that J.K. Rowling was behind the critically lauded, but poorly selling novel. Once outed, J.K. Rowling told the press that she’d hoped her identity would remain a secret, as she enjoyed publishing a novel without all of the hype that came with the “Harry Potter” series.

J.K. Rowling intends to continue with the series under the Galbraith pen name. However, one good thing did occur with the revelation of the real author as “Cuckoo’s Calling” sales have skyrocketed overnight. Bookstores around the country sold out of their copies and sales on Amazon increased by over 500,000%.

A spokesperson for Little, Brown and Company said a reprint of the book is underway to meet customer demand.

Jimmy Kimmel wed Molly McNeary in star-studded event

The late-night funnyman married longtime girlfriend after proposing last year

Jimmy Kimmel married his longtime girlfriend in a lavish, star-studded ceremony over the weekend. Jimmy Kimmel, 45, and Molly McNeary, 35, wed at the Ojai Valley Inn in Ojai, California in front of friends and family. The A-list guests included Jennifer Garner, Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Jennifer Aniston and Ellen DeGeneres.

Jimmy Kimmel and McNeary, who is head co-writer for Kimmel’s show, began dating in 2009. Jimmy Kimmel proposed in 2012 during a romantic trip to South Africa. The late-night host had a low-key bachelor party in Vancouver which included bike riding and dinner with close friends rather than drunken debauchery and strippers.

McNeary wore a strapless, lace mermaid-cut wedding dress and Jimmy Kimmel kept it classic in a black tux. The entire ceremony was the bride’s doing, as McNeary planned every detail of her dream wedding, with Jimmy Kimmel joking, “I’m not that involved with the wedding planning, but I will be there. It’ll be mostly a family affair and there will be a Catholic priest officiating.”

This is Mcneary’s first marriage and Jimmy Kimmel’s second. He was married to Gina Kimmel for 15 years before they divorced and soon after began dating comedian Sarah Silverman. Silverman and Jimmy Kimmel broke up in 2009 shortly before he began seeing McNeary.

The couple asked that charitable donations be made in lieu of gifts. Congratulations to the happy couple.

Jenny McCarthy is dating New Kids on the Block member

Hitch a ride on the time machine– we’re going back to the ’90s

Jenny McCarthy is dating Donnie Wahlberg. Jenny McCarthy rose to fame as a “Playboy” model and the host of MTV’s dating show “Singled Out.” Donnie Wahlberg was (and still is) a member of New Kids on the Block. So, how did two of the biggest starts of the ‘90s find love?

It all started with some risqué flirting when Donnie Wahlberg appeared on Jenny McCarthy’s eponymous talk show in March. The interview took an innuendo-filled turn and sparks flew between the two as they sucked on red lollipops. Jenny McCarthy, known for her ostentatious and bawdy behavior, asked Wahlberg whether or not he talked dirty in bed. The boy-bander admitted he did.

Jenny McCarthy then said, “You do—but some guys do it wrong.” Wahlberg then made all viewers uncomfortable by assuring Jenny McCarthy that he most certainly did not do it wrong.

Of the interview, Jenny McCarthy told the press, “Let’s just say we visually give 50 Shades of Grey a run for its money,” she writes. “It gets steamy. I mean like really steamy. Being turned on by a guy is always fun but to have it legitimately happen to you on TV is to be turned back into a 12-year-old. By the time we get into the groundbreaking interview, my face turns fifty shades of RED.”

Apparently the duo took their flirtation to the next level and have been seeing each other ever since. Jenny McCarthy’s last high-profile romance was with Jim Carrey, whom she dated for five years before ending things in 2010. Donnie Wahlberg was married to ex-wife Kim Fey, until 2008. Both Jenny McCarthy and Wahlberg have children from previous relationships.

Here’s hoping that the relationship lasts, but that they keep the sordid details of their affair under wraps.

Carly Rae Jepsen botches first pitch

The “Call Me Maybe” singer threw one of the worst pitches in baseball history

Carly Rae Jepsen threw a cringe worthy first pitch at the Tampa Bay Rays home game on Sunday. The “Call Me Maybe” singer held onto the ball way too long and  Carly Rae Jepsen’s pitch thudded to the ground several feet away, slowly rolling toward first base, rather than home plate.

Despite this being one of the worst first pitches in history, Carly Rae Jepsen took her gaffe in stride, laughing and covering her face when the pitch bounced off a camera bag before getting a consolation hug from Rays player Matt Moore. Later on, Carly Rae Jepsen posted photos of the pitch to Instagram with the caption, “A before and after. Me taking the mound. Me knocking the camera out of the photographers hands with the baseball. And me getting a sympathy hug from the catcher. Omg.”

 

Omg, indeed. Carly Rae Jepsen isn’t the first celebrity to throw a terrible pitch and she certainly won’t be the last. All in all, the pitch wasn’t a bad omen, as the Tampa Bay Rays went on to beat the Houston Astros 5-0. Carly Rae Jepsen was in town to perform after the game.

Check out the embarrassing, but endearing video below.

Trayvon Martin murder trial verdict: George Zimmerman found not guilty

George Zimmerman was acquitted of manslaughter and second-degree murder charges

George Zimmerman was acquitted of all charges in the death of Trayvon Martin. In a shocking verdict, an all-female jury accepted Zimmerman’s plea of self-defense in the murder of Trayvon Martin and was found not guilty of second-degree murder and manslaughter.

The Trayvon Martin murder trial lasted three weeks and ended in one of the most shocking verdicts in courtroom history. George Zimmerman, who shot and killed an unarmed Trayvon Martin in 2012, sparked a national debate on civil rights and racial profiling.

On that fateful evening in 2012, Zimmerman called the police and alerted them to Trayvon Martin’s presence. After the phone call to the police ended, a physical altercation erupted between Trayvon Martin and Zimmerman. When police arrived, Trayvon Martin was dead and Zimmerman had two lacerations on the back of his head. After five hours of questioning over the death of Trayvon Martin, he was released without being charged.

It wasn’t until six weeks later, after media frenzy and much public outcry, that George Zimmerman was arrested. Now, 16 months later, George Zimmerman has been released (although with a stigma forever attached to his name). Trayvon Martin’s parents were not present in the courtroom when the verdict was read, but sources claim they are heartbroken, as to be expected.

After reading the verdict, Judge Debra Nelson told Zimmerman, “You have no further business with the court.” She noted that his bond would be released and his GPS monitor removed. Outside the courthouse, protestors broke into chants of “No justice, no peace!”  Again, the media and social media erupted in disbelief at the not-guilty verdict.

The trial and its outcome will, of course, be hotly debated in the coming days.  The general public is outraged and many will find fault with how the prosecution handled the case (most notably the lack of credibility of one of the witnesses who admitted to lying about her age and attending Trayvon Martin’s wake), as well as the injustice of the verdict.

As of now, George Zimmerman is free to return to his normal life. All in all, a tragic conclusion to a tragic story.

Cory Monteith found dead at 31

Glee star’s body found in Vancouver hotel room

Cory Monteith, 31, hit star of “Glee” was found dead in his Vancouver hotel room Saturday afternoon. Vancouver police held a press conference late in the evening, confirming Cory Monteith’s death and ruling out foul play. There will be no official cause of death until the coroner has performed an autopsy, but it is speculated that Cory Monteith’s death is drug related.

The “Glee” star has been very open about his previous struggle with drugs, noting that he began using at 13 and first entered rehab at 19 after an intervention held by his mother and his friends. Earlier this year, Cory Monteith checked himself into rehab as an ongoing way of dealing with his drug problems. Family, friends, co-stars and his girlfriend, Lea Michele publicly supported Monteith during his most recent stint in rehab. Upon his release from rehab, Monteith seemed to be back on track and doing well.

Staff members at Vancouver’s Pacific Rim Hotel became worried when the young star missed his check-out time and entered the room. Cory Monteith was found in the room and had been dead for several hours before his body was found. 

The handsome young man shot to stardom playing Finn Hudson on “Glee.”
Born and raised in Canada, Cory Monteith began acting in Vancouver, being cast in small parts in several popular television shows and movies, but caught his big break in 2009 when Ryan Murphy cast him on “Glee” and he quickly became a show favorite.

Cory Monteith’s family has been notified of his untimely passing, but have yet to release a statement. However, his publicist made an announcement, stating, “We are so saddened to confirm that the reports on the death of Cory Monteith are accurate. We are in shock and mourning this tragic loss.”

Brazilian soccer match results in stabbing and decapitation

A dispute between referee and player turns deadly

A Brazilian soccer match turned into a deadly incident last week. Although Brazilian soccer fans are used to violence during games, this incident left one vicious fan in custody and two others on the loose.

During the match in rural Maranhao, an argument broke out between the referee and a player. The referee, Otavio da Silva, gave Josenir Abreu a red card, effectively expelling the player from the game. A heated argument between da Silva and Abreu ensued and punches were thrown. As the fight became more aggressive, da Silva pulled out a knife he had in his pocket and stabbed Abreu several times.

Abreu was rushed to the hospital to treat his wounds, but tragically died in the ambulance. In the meantime, the soccer match continued and when news reached Abreu’s family and fans that he had died, they stormed the field and captured da Silva. The mob tied up da Silva and stoned him. Three men then proceeded to quarter the body before decapitating da Silva and sticking his head on a stake.

Many of the fans in the stands sat and watched as this horrific chain of events occurred and some even videotaped the crime. So far one individual has been arrested in connection with the quartering and decapitation, but police officials are still looking for two more men.

This tragedy has many people worried whether or not police will be able to effectively offer protection and security during the 2014 World Cup as well as the 2016 Olympics, both of which are being hosted in Rio de Janeiro. However, a former Rio police officer, Paulo Storani assured members of the press that they should not be worried. “It’s something that’s completely out of the ordinary which took place in an isolated area of the poorest state in the country, an area where violence is very widespread,” said Storani. “While it’s true we are used to soccer violence in Brazil, this is completely off the charts of what we usually see.”

Even so, there is no excuse for such savage behavior and crime should not beget crime. Hopefully the police are able to track down the individuals responsible for the heinous act.

Monday morning celebrity gossip roundup

All the celebrity news you missed over the weekend

While everyone was out celebrating over the holiday weekend, we got the scoop on the best celebrity gossip. Here’s the Monday morning gossip roundup:

It’s official: “Man of Steel” star Henry Cavill and Kaley Cuoco are a couple. The duo was seen stepping out to pick up 4th of July refreshments at a grocery store in Los Angeles and Kaley Cuoco has been snapped twice carrying two cups of Starbucks over the weekend.

John Mayer and Katy Perry are definitely back on. After Katy Perry revealed she was still madly in love with Mayer in last month’s interview with Vogue, it seems only fair that Mayer returned the gesture. During his performance (where Perry was in the audience) in Milwaukee, Mayer dedicated a song to her and told the crowd, “She was more incredible than I ever thought. I want to dedicate this next song to Katy, who is my face to call home. She was so patient as to continue to get to know me and love me.”

Has Stacy Keibler been pink slipped? Sources say George Clooney has called it quits with his longtime lady love. The duo spent the holiday weekend apart, adding fuel to the fire. However, the couple has weathered rumors of a split before and those turned out to be false. Stay tuned to see what happens.

Amanda Bynes is up to her usual trickery on Twitter. She announced that Drake was still the handsomest man in the world, even if he came down with Parkinson’s. Then she backtracked and announced that the man she was marrying (this mystery man is the reason for all of her surgeries—a girl has to be ready for her wedding day, after all), and finally, she culminated the rant demanding $1 million for people “illegally” reading her mind. Oh, Amanda, girl, that 5150 hold is coming for you.

Don’t worry: Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux are still a couple. Despite reports that the wedding is on hold as the couple battles it our over East Coast/West Coast living arrangements, Jennifer and Justin were seen canoodling around town and going on an extravagant shopping spree for their Bel-Air mansion. For those who were concerned, Jennifer Aniston was sporting her engagement ring.

Justin Bieber just can’t get it together. He kept over 13,000 fans waiting when he showed up over three hours late to his Sunday night concert. This is the fourth time in over a month that Justin Bieber hasn’t bothered to show up in a timely fashion and perform for the poor people who paid money to see him.
 

Nigella Lawson's husband files for divorce and remains a jerk while doing so

Charles Saatchi announces divorce to press before telling his wife.

Nigella Lawson is getting a divorce. In remaining constant with his jackass-persona, Charles Saatchi announced that he would be divorcing Nigella Lawson, as he was disappointed that she did not release a statement condoning the fact that he publicly choked her (go figure).

Nigella Lawson is a celebrity chef and Charles Saatchi is one of the most prominent art dealers in the world. Nigella Lawson and Saatchi married in 2003, but in the past few years their marriage has become tabloid fodder documenting Saatchi’s boorish behavior. The final straw came when photographs of Saatchi choking Nigella Lawson on a restaurant patio were published last month.

At the time, Saatchi claimed that the incident was “a playful tiff” despite the fact that Nigella Lawson looks terrified and was left alone on the patio crying. Shortly after the story broke, Nigella Lawson and her two children moved out of the house she shared with her husband. Saatchi was issued a citation (which is tantamount to a slap on the wrist, with one legal insider noting that a citation is the same punishment a teenager caught skateboarding in a restricted area would receive).

On Sunday, Charles Saatchi released a statement announcing his intention to divorce Nigella Lawson, telling the press, “I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.”

Even more upsetting, insiders have confirmed that Nigella Lawson was not aware of Saatchi’s intent to begin divorce proceedings and only found out when he released the public statement to the press. Nigella Lawson has yet to issue a statement and her lawyer declined to comment.

Either way, it seems like Nigella Lawson will be just fine. She is independently wealthy, has two beautiful children and a very successful career. She most certainly doesn’t need an abusive husband who retaliates by initiating divorce proceedings when someone doesn’t justify his churlish actions.

Royal baby mania begins

Hordes of camera crews have taken up posts in the hospital parking lot

The official Royal Baby watch has begun. No, Kate Middleton has not given birth. In fact, she hasn’t even gone into labor yet, but that has not stopped photographers and news crews from camping out around the clock in the parking lot of St. Mary’s. Due to info leaked from the Duchess of Cambridge’s official birth plan, the press has arrived days early in the event that Kate Middleton goes into labor early.

Not to worry though, as four parking spots have been reserved so that Kate Middleton and her security and wranglers will have ample room when they arrive. After that, the parking spots will be reserved for friends and family coming to visit the royal baby.

According to the “plan,” Kate Middleton will be having a natural birth and the royal baby’s gender will be announced via proclamation on the front gate of Buckingham Palace, per royal tradition.

Prince William is away working as an RAF search and rescue helicopter pilot, he has made arrangements to immediately fly to Middleton’s side when she goes into labor and he will be on a two week paternity leave. Middleton, for her part, has made her last official appearance before the royal baby’s arrival, so chances are she won’t be seen until she arrives at St. Mary’s.

Given the world’s fascination with the royal family, no doubt there will be round-the-clock coverage until the royal baby actually makes its appearance.