• Your one stop for college news and resources!

Administrator

A Mexico yacht crash kills three

with one still missing

A Mexico yacht crash has left three sailors dead and a fourth missing. A collision at sea with another larger vessel left the 37-foot-yacht, dubbed the Aegean, that sailors were manning obliterated, looking “like it had gone through a blender,” reports Yahoo.

The crash occurred during a race from Newport Beach, Ca. to Ensenda in Mexico. The total length of the race is 124-miles. The race kicked off on Friday, and the yacht was reported missing on Saturday.

“It was real obvious it had been hit just because the debris was so small,” stated Eric Lamb who is a captain for a private company and eight-year veteran of the race of the Mexico yacht crash.

According to Lamb the bodies, two of which he recovered,  had scrapes and bruises with one having severe head trauma. The third body was recovered by a Coast Guard helicopter.

“It appeared the damage was not inflicted by an explosion but by a collision with a ship much larger than the 37-foot vessel,” association spokesman Rich Roberts said in a news release early Sunday.

There were a total of 210 boats registered in the 65th annual yacht race reports the Newport Ocean Sailing Association on their website.

“This has never happened in the entire 65 years of the race that I’m aware of,” stated Chuck Iverson. “We’re all shocked by this whole event.”

The Aegean was owned by Theo Mavromatis, one of the sailors who died in the crash.

New World Trade Center tallest in NYC skyline

Time-lapsed video shows construction

The New World Trade Center has recaptured lower Manhattan’s claim to having the tallest building in the New York skyline, edging out the Empire State Building.

The Twin Towers became the tallest structures in New York when they were constructed in the 1970s, but the tragedy of Sept. 11, 2001 ended the reign.

The New World Trade Center broke the record Monday as a steel column moved its way up the building, setting the height at 387 meters, reports the Brisbane Times. This makes the New World Trade Center taller than the Empire State Building’s observation deck. However, many are disputing the claim, give the Empire State’s building antenna isn’t being factored into the height.

”Today NYC has a new tallest building and a new sense of how bright our future is,” mayor Michael Bloomberg said. ”The latest progress at the World Trade Centre is a testament to New Yorkers’ strength and resolve – and to our belief in a city that is always reaching upward.”

When completed in either late 2013 or early 2014, the New World Trade Center will stand a towering 541 meters with a 122-meter needle.

”The new World Trade Centre is more than just a skyscraper; it is a symbol of the enduring spirit of the city and state of New York, representing our commitment to rebuilding stronger than before,” said New York state Governor Andrew Cuomo.

Check out the video of the New World Trade Center below.

Octomom files bankruptcy

Almost $1 million in debt

Octomom, lesser known as Nadya Suleman has filed for bankruptcy. She claims that she has up to $1 million in debt and owes $30,000 in rent, reports the AP. Her debt is roughly 20 times that of her net worth, given that the Octomom only has $50,000 in assets.

“I have had to make some very difficult decisions this year, and filing Chapter 7 was one of them,” Suleman, 36, said through an e-mail that her manager Gina Rodriguez sent. “But I have to do what is best for my children, and I need a fresh start.

With filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy, the Octomom will have all of her assets liquidate in attempts to pay her debts. But, under Chapter 7, most individuals are released from their debts. Though, a court will go through her finances to make sure that she isn’t abusing bankruptcy laws.

The Octomom is 11 months past due on her rent to Amer Haddadin, whom was the previous owner of the four bedroom house that the Octomom and her 14 children live in. The house was purchased under an all-inclusive deed, which leaves Haddadin with the deed and the Octomom responsible for paying him the monthly mortgage. Once she stopped paying her rent every month, the bank put the home into foreclosure.

Though, this isn’t her first time in the news in the past week. She has recently been fighting accusations that she is raising her children in squalor.  Her hairdresser gave photo to TMZ of the Octomom’s children using portable toilets outside and claimed that children were being locked in rooms. The Octomom disputed the claims, saying that she couldn’t afford the $150 to fix her plumbing. Though, she paid the hairdresser $520 for a Brazilian blow out.

“I think, maybe, me and my kids were set up,” Octomom said on Good Morning America. “We were set up.” 

Currently, the Octomom receives about $2,000 each month. She originally made headlines back in January 2009 when she used fertility treatments to conceive eight babies. 

Read more on the Octomom here.

Cleveland bomb plot foiled

Five arrested in bridge plot

A Cleveland bomb plot has been subdued says the Justice Department. Five men were taken into custody for planning to blow up a bridge close to Cleveland. The men are self described anarchists and not apart of any terrorist organization reports the AP.

The Cleveland bomb plot was discovered by law enforcement agents during an undercover surveillance operation. They also added that the Cleveland bomb plot was in no way related to the anniversary of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, who was killed during a raid one year ago.

“The individuals charged in this plot were intent on using violence to express their ideological views,” FBI Special Agent in Charge Stephen Anthony noted in a statement.

CBS News reports that the FBI conducted the investigation over the course of several months with the arrested individuals discussing numerous locations surrounding the Cleveland area. Court papers reveal the group planned on using C-4 explosives to remotely blow up the four-lane Brecksville-Northfield High Level Bridge. The bridge passes over a national park. The FBI also provided the five in question with what they thought was explosive material.

The FBI’s Joint Terrorist Task Force arrested Brandon Baxter, 20, Douglas Wright, 26, Anthony Hayne, 35, Connor Stevens, 20, and Joshua Stafford, 23.

Baxter, Wright and Hayne are slated to go before the federal magistrate in U.S. District Court today.

Stevens and Stafford are still awaiting pending charges for the Cleveland bomb plot.

“The safety of the citizens of the Northern District of Ohio is and continues to be our primary focus,” added Anthony,” reported ABC.

The Dark Knight Rises trailer swoops in

Gotham’s favorite hero teases fans

The Dark Knight Rises trailer has been released and is already creating a flurry amongst ardent fans of Gotham’s favorite caped crusader. Warner Bros. released The Dark Knight Rises trailer Tuesday; the film is the third time Christopher Nolan has put his stamp on the classic superhero.

Previous Dark Knight Rises trailers left a bad taste in some fans’ mouths, given that Bane, played by Tom Hardy, was difficult to understand with his muddled speech. In the new trailer, Bane can clearly be heard declaring that he is “Gotham’s reckoning.”

Chrisitan Bale plays a crushed Batman who must come out of hiding to save Gotham from the evils of Bane. The Dark Knight Rises also gives fans a look at Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. However, the film’s version of Catwoman is drastically different from Batman Forever’s seductive Nicole Kidman and her tight leather suit. Hathaway’s character is far more reminiscent of the comic book Catwoman.

Liam Neeson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Gary Oldman also have been recruited for The Dark Knight Rises, which opens July 20.

Check out the trailer below.

Maggie Gyllenhaal welcomes home new baby

Actress has second child

Maggie Gyllenhaal is a mom for the second the time. The lesser-known of the two Gyllenhaals kept her pregnancy under lock and key, but her and actor husband Peter Sarasgaard added baby girl Gloria Ray to their family.

“I find it difficult to pretend you’re not pregnant, which I had to do,” Gyllenhaal told US Weekly. “I didn’t let anyone know until three and a half months this time. I went to film festivals. I’m throwing up in the bathroom and having to keep pretzels in my purse, and having to fit into dresses

Maggie Gyllenhaal first became a mom back in 2006 and, as she told Us back in 2010, has since had trouble juggling both her career and family life.

“I had been so focused on Ramona, and she’s been everything to me, but I’m also an actress […] It’s not possible to do it perfectly.”

Maggie Gyllenhaal made her film debut back in 1992’s Waterland, playing opposite her father. She didn’t truly find fame until her role in the bondage-themed film Secretary. Maggie Gyllenhaal also received much criticism for her role as Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight. Many fans of the film felt a more attractive actress should have been cast to play Bruce Wayne’s love interest.

Though, Maggie Gyllenhaal’s husband is less concerned about his own career and more on how his daughter Ramona will handle having a younger sister.

“I’ve seen kids with siblings — I don’t have any siblings, so I don’t know — but they generally go for about five minutes, ‘Oh, cool! Anyway, what are we going to do now? Can we return it?'” he told reporters in February. “I think it gets boring quickly, at first, and it takes a while for them to bond,” reports Us.
 

Chernobyl construction begins to mark anniversary

International support raises funds

Construction at the infamous Chernobyl plant started Thursday. Ukraine is planning to build a permanent shelter around the fallen nuclear power plant, which just had its 26th anniversary.

“In the name of Ukraine, I express my deep thanks to all the donor countries to the Chernobyl Shelter Fund for their understanding and effective aid to our country in overcoming the consequences of the worst man-made disaster in human history,” President Viktor Yanukovych said during a ceremony at the site.

Chernobyl fell on April 26, 1986 when an explosion during a test sent radioactive fallout into the atmosphere. European countries such as Belarus, Ukraine and Russia were horribly affected. After the explosion, Ukraine ordered thousands of people to participate in the clean-up without proper protection.

The push to raise money for the new structure as received international support, given that the original structure was poorly built and has since cracked. International donors have committed to contributing $773 million to the build.

“The Chernobyl disaster underscored that mankind must be extra careful in using nuclear technologies,” Yanukovych said. “Nuclear accidents lead to global consequences. They are not a problem of just one country; they affect the life of entire regions.”

The construction of the new shelter has been dubbed the “New Safe Confinement” site, which will span 257 meters and last a century. The name of the original structure roughly translates into “casket” in English.

Countries such as Belarus as still feeling the aftermath of Chernobyl with contaminated areas of the country known as “exclusion zone.”

Utah booby traps found on trail

Two men held in custody for suspicion

Utah booby traps, doesn’t sound like something that would be found on a popular hiking trail, but that’s exactly what U.S. Forest Service Officer James Schoeffler found in Provo, Utah.

The two Utah booby traps were designed to be concealed against the forest’s backdrop with one being a 20-pound boulder and having sharpened sticks tied to it connected to a trip wire. When triggered the booby trap would swing down at a hiker, roughly around the height of their head. The other was much more Machiavellian and designed to trip people, sending them into a sharpened bed of wooden stakes.

The Detroit News reports that Officer Shoeffler received a tip of unusual activity along the canyon trail in Provo, which is about 45 miles south of Salt Lake City. Lucky, Shoeffler has had twelve years in the military as a bomb disposal technician where he disarmed devices in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Balkans, so he was able to immediately identify the traps

“Typically, anywhere I’ve been, if there’s one, there’s two, if there’s three, there’s four,” Schoeffler said. “The way I treated that is the way I would treat a scene in a deployed environment … As a bomb disposal technician, you would find and disarm them.”

The discovery of the Utah booby traps led to the arrest of Benjamin Rutkowski, 19, and Kai Christensen, 21. They were booked into the Utah County Jail Saturday on suspicion of misdemeanor reckless endangerment. They claim they set the trap to catch wildlife, but officials.

“When you look at those things, you just get chills down your spine,” Utah County sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Cannon stated. “One sends a rock the size of a football speeding at your head. The other is even more nightmarish. Walk into that trap and either you get the worst headache of your life or a stick through your eye.” 

The trail is a popular destination for both families and children. In fact, the day the booby traps were found, there was a children’s birthday party down the trail.

Powerball winner receives mega payout

And one woman won twice

A Powerball ticket sold in Pennsylvania made one individual very wealthy Wednesday night. The winning jackpot was worth $172.7 million paid out in yearly installments or $107.7 million in cash. The winning numbers were 4, 25, 29, 34 and 43; the Powerball was 29.

Ten other players also managed to match five numbers and will each receive $1 million apiece. Another 27 individuals managed to pick four numbers, netting themselves a cool $10,000. Totally 679, 759 players are receiving a cash price from Wednesday’s Powerball, reports Wintrillions.com

NPR also reported that Renee Montage, of Virginia, won last night’s Powerball two times. Montage accidentally purchased the same ticket twice, which means she receives double the payout. $2 million more in your bank account isn’t a bad way to start a Thursday, especially given the odd of picking all the numbers, except the Powerball, is 1 in 5,153,632.65.

Google Drive has arrived

Google’s latest innovation has users’ heads in the cloud

Google Drive was unveiled yesterday. Talks of Google offering a cloud storage system have been floating on the internet for years with little conformation from the company.
The new system offers 5GB of free storage, but users can upgrade to different monthly storage plans ranging from 25GB for $2.49 to 1TB for $49.99. If you do choose to upgrade, your Gmail account will also be expanded to 25GB.

The new feature will integrate Google Docs, allowing you to work on projects with others anywhere in the world in real time. Google also offers a downloadable Drive program, which can be installed on both Mac and PC. There is also an app for Android devices, and an app for mobile IOS systems is also in the works.

The new Google Drive also pushes the limits by utilizing Optical Character Recognition, which allows you to scan and upload a magazine clipping and search for a specific word within the article by just typing in a keyword. Photo recognition has also been integrated, so the system will automatically pull up your photos from your thrilling trip to Dino World when you type the name in. This makes it unnecessary to tag and label photos.
The ability to send faxes, edit videos and create website layouts is also in the works through third-party developers.
Google hyped their new feature on their blog writing:

“Today, we’re introducing Google Drive—a place where you can create, share, collaborate, and keep all of your stuff. Whether you’re working with a friend on a joint research project, planning a wedding with your fiancé or tracking a budget with roommates, you can do it in Drive. You can upload and access all of your files, including videos, photos, Google Docs, PDFs and beyond.”

However, social media sites have been on fire over who owns the information. Technically, the user retains the ownership, but Google’s disclaimer states they have :

“A worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. “

Their disclaimer also gives them the right to continue using any documents, photos or videos that you may have had in their cloud even after you have removed them or stopped using the service. This may steer some users away from using Google Drive, especially those in creative field given that ownership over their work is a large issue.

While Google + never took off as the company expected it to, time will only tell if users will migrate away from other cloud programs like Dropbox to Google Drive.